Sometimes it seems all banana breads taste the same. Well, not this banana bread.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mashed over-ripe banana (1 VERY RIPE banana)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray with flour like Baker's Joy.
- Whisk the egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the sugar, corn oil, vanilla, milk and stir. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Stir the flour into the banana mixture. Add chopped nuts.
- In a small bowl mix the Tablespoon of flour and the blueberries until berries are coated with flour. This will keep berries from "bleeding" in the bread. Gently stir the blueberries into the bread mixture.
- Fill loaf pans about 1/2 to 3/4 full; don't be tempted to overfill, the loaves will be ugly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer or straw inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on rack and serve with butter or cream cheese.
- Yield: 2 small loaves
Did You Spot the Secret Ingredient?
My recipe for Banana Bread is a wee bit different from other recipes you’ll find.
The secret: Use VERY RIPE bananas, almost fermented. And you know how good fermented foods are for you.
When I buy bananas for Big Mill Bed and Breakfast guests, I always get two extra and just let them sit on the counter for several days. You want to leave them out until the skins turn dark — almost black.
Then they are ready to make this tasty Banana Bread. I serve the bread with my Blueberry Jam – might as well pile on the calories! It is also delicious with cream cheese.
Recipe from Innkeeper Chloe at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast in Williamston, NC 252-792-8787