Chloe’s Gourmet Sweet Potato Soup
For the two-color soup, make two batches. This is a beautiful soup, and you will love the variations in the sweet potato soups.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 Tablespoons canola or corn oil divided
- 2 cups leek sliced, white parts only, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds red sweet potatoes about three medium-sized or two large potatoes. Buy the darkest red sweet potatoes available.
- 1 1/2 pounds light-colored sweet potatoes like Hayman Japanese, Murasakior O'Henry (about three medium-sized or two large potatoes)
- 1 cup water divided
- 4 cans 14½ ounce good quality vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons orange zest divided
You will also need for garnish:
- Sprigs of fresh chives
- Edible flowers like pansies, nasturtiums, violets, Johnny-Jump-Ups
To make the red sweet potato soup:
In a medium sized fry pan, heat 2 Tablespoons canola oil. Add ½ cup sliced leeks. Sauté the leeks on medium heat until tender, stirring often. Do not let the leeks brown. Remove from heat.
Wash and peel the red sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks. Add the red sweet potatoes to the pan with the leeks. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 can of vegetable broth. Cover and cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Repeat this procedure with the light-colored sweet potatoes.
Working in batches of different colors, add the sweet potato and leek mixture to a blender. Add remaining half can of vegetable broth and 1 teaspoon orange zest. Pulse gently to make a puree. Add more vegetable broth as needed to achieve the consistency of thin pancake batter. Optional - For a perfectly smooth soup, run the soup through a kitchen sieve.
Using two medium-sized saucepans, heat soups, using low heat and stirring often. Add more broth as needed. Gently pour about 1/2 cup of the red sweet potato soup into a wide, flat soup bowl, allowing soup to settle. Gently pour 1/2 cup of the light colored soup into the other side of the soup bowl. Repeat for each serving of soup.
Garnish with a chive sprig and an edible flower.
This soup can be made ahead of time. Heat each batch separately before serving. You may have to add more vegetable broth or water because the soup tends to thicken as it cools.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 797mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 29395IU | Vitamin C: 26.5mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2.3mg