Big Mill RACCOON QUICHE
Yup, it's true. If you hunt raccoon, you can go ahead and eat it. Just watch how you cook it.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups shredded southwest style hash brown potatoes found in the refrigerated section at the grocery store
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted and divided
- 3 scallions/green onion with tops
- 1/2 medium sized red bell pepper about 1/2 cup diced
- 4-5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked coon meat diced (see below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a round 8-inch or 9-inch quiche dish. Stir together the shredded potatoes and 1 Tablespoon of the melted butter. Sprinkle with salt. Press into the greased dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Chop the scallions, bottoms and tops. Dice the red pepper. Saute both in 2 tablespoons of butter, until just barely tender, keeping them separated while cooking.
Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, cayenne pepper, 2 Tablespoons of the butter, 1 Tablespoon flour, salt and black pepper. Sprinkle the cheese over the baked shredded potatoes. Add the coon meat, scallions and red pepper. Fill the dish full with the custard mixture and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve with hot sauce.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 310mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 1090IU | Vitamin C: 18.6mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 1.4mg