Pozole – Mexican Hominy Soup - a Gringo Version
I just love this Pozole Recipe. Pozole is a Mexican Soup that is usually made with pork; this recipe is made with chicken. It can be made in a crock pot if you’d prefer.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & crushed
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 28 oz chopped tomatoes 1 large can
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 46.5 oz hominy, drained 3 cans
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 20 oz white meat chicken breast, drained and broken up 2 cans or use leftover chicken
Sauté onion in olive oil in a large pot until onion is translucent. Add garlic and sauté for a couple minutes more.
Add chicken broth, chopped tomatoes with their juice, enchilada sauce, drained hominy, salt, and pepper. Simmer until hot.
Add chicken and cook at least 30 minutes. It is fine to simmer on the stove or in the crock pot for longer.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 1486mg | Potassium: 498mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 19.2mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3.2mg