Best Bone Broth Beef Vegetable Soup
This Beef Vegetable Soup made with bones is the best I have ever tasted. The secret - BONES!
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 11 people
- 2-3 pounds beef chuck roast bone-in
- 1 pound oxtails
- 2 cans whole tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 can beef broth 14.5 ounces
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons parsley dried or handful of fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 clove garlic large, mashed
- 6 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium potatoes washed and cut into chunks, with peel on
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery cut into pieces
- 1 package lima beans 12 ounces, frozen
- 4 ears corn fresh and cut off cob
- 1 loaf rustic bread toasted
Melt lard in large stew pot. Add the roast and the oxtails and seer until they start to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Brown roast and oxtails on all sides. Remove meat and bones from the pot to cool for a few minutes.
Add canned tomatoes, broth, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic to the pot. Cut tomatoes into chunks with scissors or knife.
Cook tomatoes mixture (without the meat) on medium for at least 5 minutes or until the meat cools. When the meat has cooled, cut the roast meat into chunks. Add meat, bones and oxtails to the pot and cook for 30 minutes on simmer.
Add the vegetables carrots, potatoes, corn, onion, celery and Lima beans to the pot. Cook for 30 minutes more or until all is tender.
Remove all bones. Cut the meat off the oxtails and discard bones. Return meat to soup pot, keeping all ingredients warm.
Serve with toasted rustic bread.
Calories: 632kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 751mg | Potassium: 895mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 133.5% | Vitamin C: 17% | Calcium: 6.8% | Iron: 40.2%