Who says Bone Broth has to be boring? This Beef Vegetable Soup made with bones is the best I have ever tasted. The secret – BONES.
This soup uses bone-in chuck roast and oxtails. Another secret ingredient is lard. Our grandmothers were right – lard is great.
If it weren’t for bacon and this soup, I could easily be a vegetarian. It is a bit pricey, around $30 to make. An important part of this recipe is oxtails (bones) and they are expensive. Expect to pay $10 for the bones. Don’t get turned off by oxtails – oxtails actually come from the tail of a cow.
When I was growing up on the farm, we all chewed on the softer bones like chicken legs. We knew we were eating marrow, but didn’t really know we were getting collagen also. Farm folks are smart.
- 2-3 Tablespoons lard
- 2-3 pounds beef chuck roast bone-in
- 1 pound oxtails
- 2 cans whole tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 can beef broth 14.5 ounces
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons parsley dried or handful of fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 clove garlic large, mashed
- 6 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium potatoes washed and cut into chunks, with peel on
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery cut into pieces
- 1 package lima beans 12 ounces, frozen
- 4 ears corn fresh and cut off cob
- 1 loaf rustic bread toasted
- Melt lard in large stew pot. Add the roast and the oxtails and seer until they start to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Brown roast and oxtails on all sides. Remove meat and bones from the pot to cool for a few minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, broth, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic to the pot. Cut tomatoes into chunks with scissors or knife.
- Cook tomatoes mixture (without the meat) on medium for at least 5 minutes or until the meat cools. When the meat has cooled, cut the roast meat into chunks. Add meat, bones and oxtails to the pot and cook for 30 minutes on simmer.
- Add the vegetables carrots, potatoes, corn, onion, celery and Lima beans to the pot. Cook for 30 minutes more or until all is tender.
- Remove all bones. Cut the meat off the oxtails and discard bones. Return meat to soup pot, keeping all ingredients warm.
- Serve with toasted rustic bread.
This hearty soup is worth the time and money. It also freezes well.
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast, Williamston, NC 252-792-8787
- Bitcoin Cryptocurrency Accepted at Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - September 8, 2021
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021