It seems all banana breads taste the same. Well, not this banana bread.
- • 1 large egg
- • 1/4 cup corn oil
- • ¾ cups sugar
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 1/4 cup milk
- • 1/2 cup mashed over-ripe banana 1 VERY RIPE banana
- • 1 cup self-rising flour
- • 1 dash salt
- • 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- • 1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 mini loaf pans with cooking spray with flour like Baker's Joy.
- Whisk the egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the sugar, corn oil, vanilla, milk and stir. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Stir the flour into the banana mixture. Add chopped nuts.
- In a small bowl mix the Tablespoon of flour and the blueberries until berries are coated with flour. This will keep berries from "bleeding" in the bread. Gently stir the blueberries into the bread mixture.
- Fill loaf pans about 1/2 to 3/4 full; don't be tempted to overfill, the loaves will be ugly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer or straw inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on rack and serve with butter or cream cheese.
- Yield: 2 small loaves
Did You Spot the Secret Ingredient?
My recipe for Banana Bread is a wee bit different from other recipes you’ll find.
The secret: Use VERY RIPE bananas, almost fermented. And you know how good fermented foods are for you.
Innkeeper at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast, Williamston, NC 252-792-8787 www.bigmill.com
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020
- Best Banana Bread has a Secret Ingredient - April 28, 2020