This original salsa recipe is a crowd-pleaser and a cook-pleaser -It only takes 5 minutes to make.
- 28 oz diced tomatoes not petite diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons jalapeno slices in a jar
- 1 Tablespoon juice from the jalapeno jar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 medium onion
- Few drops lemon juice
- Put half the tomatoes and their juice, jalapeno slices plus the Tablespoon of the liquid, sugar, cilantro, onion, and lemon juice into a blender or food processor. Blend well.
- Add remaining tomatoes and pulse several times.
- Chill before serving. Serve with tortilla chips. Recipe will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
My nephew Barney created it after several years of tasting and testing. His salsa recipe is certainly one of his claims to fame. Barney’s best claim to fame is that he is my nephew, and he was born in the house that is now Big Mill B&B – two days after I was born here. He is also a gifted musician and still plays in his band Barney Conway and the Shadows.
Need a gluten-free, vegetarian appetizer to take to the party? This is perfect – tasty, easy to make and inexpensive.
This salsa is quite piquant, so if you want a milder taste, hold off on some of the jalapeno.
Barney and I spent an idyllic childhood growing up together here on the farm. We rode mules, fished and wandered all over picking blackberries.
Barney and Chloe in the yard of Big Mill in the late forties. (Note the Pack House in the background). Barney is back in North Carolina now and on the farm almost every day – he is a great asset to Big Mill Bed & Breakfast. Heritage is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?
Chloe now lives at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast (the same place she and Barney played)
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast, Williamston, NC 252-792-8787
- Bitcoin Cryptocurrency Accepted at Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - September 8, 2021
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021