I grow blueberries and blackberries here on the farm and I love to use them any way I can.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh mashed blueberries (about 4 ounces whole blueberries)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons blueberry or seedless blackberry jam
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut plus 1 Tablespoon for sprinkling on top of loaves
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To Make the Blueberry or Blackberry Cream Cheese Spread:
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons blueberry or seedless blackberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two mini bread pans using cooking spray with flour like Baker’s Secret.
- Whisk egg in large mixing bowl. Stir in oil and sugar.
- Wash blueberries and drain. Mash and chop the berries until some juice is released. Some of the blueberries will still be whole and this is just fine. You need ½ cup mashed berries. Add blueberries to the oil egg and oil.
- Stir in the jam and coconut.
- In medium-size mixing bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Add the dry mixture to the blueberry mixture.
- Pour into loaf pans, filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops with the reserved coconut – the SECRET ingredient
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned or until a straw inserted into the center comes out clean. With moist breads like this Blueberry Bread, it is difficult to know when they are done. The straw or small knife inserted into the bread technique is the best way to know. You can’t just go by the time. Be careful you don’t overcook.
- Cool on wire racks for five minutes. Remove bread from pans and continue to cool until ready to slice. To store, wrap in clear wrap. This bread will keep fresh for several days. The recipe can be doubled.
TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:
- Add the softened cream cheese and 2 Tablespoons of Blackberry Jam. Stir until totally mixed. Store in the refrigerator.
DISTANCES to BIG MILL Bed and Breakfast 252-792-8787
90 miles east of Raleigh, NC
103 miles south of Norfolk, VA
94 miles west of Nags Head, NC
145 miles north of Wilmington, NC
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020