If you like figs, you will love this Fig Bread –
I bet you will like it even if you don’t like figs!
I love figs and fig trees; I now have four fig trees planted in my orchard. That might be a bit obsessive, but this is a farm and I can share. When figs get ripe, they come in great profusion, so I needed some recipes to use all these great fruits of the gods. I make Fig Preserves or Jam and Fig Bread.
- 1/2 pound ripe figs* stemmed and chopped or mashed (1/2 cup mashed figs)
- 1 Tablespoon Grand Marnier or knock-off orange liqueur like Grand Gala or Harlequin
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts reserve ¼ cup to sprinkle on top of the loaves
- Spray 3 or 4 mini-loaf pans with baking spray with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the figs and remove stems. Chop or mash figs and stir in the Grand Marnier; let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and oil.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Measure ½ cup of the fig-Grand Marnier mixture and stir this into the egg mixture. Mix wet and dry ingredients until combined.
- Stir in chopped nuts, reserving a few to sprinkle on the loaves.
- Pour batter into 2 small well-greased loaf pans. Fill only ½ full. Do not overfill.
- Sprinkle reserved nuts on top and bake at 350º F for 35-45 minutes or until a straw inserted into the center comes out clean. This is a moist bread and tends to cook slowly in the middle. If straw is still sticky and the tops of the loaves are brown, lay a piece of aluminum foil on top of the loaves, shiny side down, for the last few minutes of baking. This bread will look done before it is done.
- Cool in pan 5 min, then invert onto a drying rack. Bread can be frozen for a month.
Recipe from Innkeeper Chloe at Big Mill Bed and Breakfast 252-792-8787
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020
- Best Banana Bread has a Secret Ingredient - April 28, 2020