Cranberries – no food says Christmas holiday recipe quite like a cranberry. This Cranberry Salad Recipe is one of my favorites.
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 1 orange, washed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 12-ounce bag cranberries, washed and picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice or lemon juice
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin (3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Remove stems from orange and cut orange into pieces, leaving peel on. Put orange pieces in a blender with the orange juice and pulverize.
- Add cranberries and sugar. Pulse to mix but do not completely pulverize. (This part of the salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator).
- Add celery and nuts and lemon juice. Blend again.
- Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water. Add 1/2 cup boiling water. Add to cranberry mixture.
- Spray a four-cup mold with cooking spray. Pour cranberry mixture into mold and chill until set.
- Unmold onto a pretty dish and garnish with a piping of mayonnaise.
Virginia Tuttle gave me this recipe. She was happiest when she was cooking and she loved to share. Her recipes live on and I think of her every time I make this tasty Cranberry Salad. Nothing can hold on to our heritage like old recipes.
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast 252-792-8787