When I lived on a sail boat, this was one of my favorite things to make. The couscous cooked by just pouring boiling water over it so it didn’t heat up the cabin. And we could add to this salad any crispy veggies that we happened to have.
It is one of those good-for–you salads and I am always surprised at how many folks have never heard of couscous. It is a great salad for picnics, dinner parties and pot luck dinners. And my men friends actually like it, even though they pretend to have never heard of it.
- 10 ounces plain couscous 1 box
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 spring onions and tops, chopped
- 6 radishes finely diced
- 1 small cucumber or English cucumber diced
- 1 medium red or orange sweet bell pepper diced
- 1 can chick peas 15-ounce can, drained
- 1 cup garden peas frozen
- 1 2.5 oz. can black olives drained and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 2-3 leaves fresh mint minced
- 4-5 lemons juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8-10 grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup snow peas cut into pieces - OPTIONAL
- Cook couscous according to package directions, adding the sea salt to the water. (If you do not have directions, do the following: Put 2 cups of water and the salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add 1 ½ cups couscous and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.)
- Stir in the diced onions, radishes, cucumber and pepper. Add the chick peas, garden peas and olives. Stir in the minced parsley and mint.
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil, both to taste. If needed, add more of both
- Serve chilled over a bed of leaf lettuce. Just before serving, add the halved grape tomatoes. If you plan to keep some of the salad, do not add the tomatoes to the entire salad, just to the portions that you plan to serve.
- This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
You’ll find more Big Mill Bed & Breakfast recipes here and here on Chloe’s Blog. Enjoy! Please visit us at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast in Williamston, N.C.
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast 252-792-8787
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020
- Best Banana Bread has a Secret Ingredient - April 28, 2020