One of the great things about late summer is that we have luscious figs. And when they ripen, they all ripen.
- 2 cups sugar + optional 4-5 Tablespoons
- 2 cups water
- ½ gallon ripe figs-small figs like Brown Turkey work best. Use figs that have stems
- Add the sugar and water to a large cooking pot. Boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Wash figs, do not remove stems.
- Add the figs to the sugar syrup – figs will not be totally covered. Bring to a slow boil and boil gently for 45 minutes. Don’t worry about stirring the figs. They will release more juice and then there will be more liquid. They are so fragile it is best not to stir them now, but do keep an eye on them. After 45 minutes remove pot from heat and set aside. Cover pot.
- If you feel you must stir the pot, use a wide spatula and gently lift the figs. Remember they are fragile.
Day 2 & 3:
- Boil gently until sugar is almost gone, checking often. For me this took several hours so I set the temperature on low.
- Gently remove the figs from the pot and place them on the cooling rack set on a large cookie sheet with sides. The figs will drip.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Turn off oven. Place the cooling rack and cookie sheet with the figs in the warm oven. Leave figs for several days to dry. You can keep heating oven again to 200 degrees if needed. I did not dry my figs totally. They are so tough if you do that. I think I like them half dry.
- Optional: When figs are dry enough for you, sprinkle them with the extra granulated sugar. They are already sweet but this keeps them from sticking together so much. Store figs in refrigerator in an air-tight container or zip lock bag.
I had imagined the figs in my Candied Fig Recipe would cook to pieces but that did not happen. They just get smaller as the syrup thickens.
If anyone offers you fresh figs, say, “Thank you,” and start cooking.
Recipe from Innkeeper Chloe Tuttle at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast in Williamston, NC 252-792-8787
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020
- Best Banana Bread has a Secret Ingredient - April 28, 2020