Every summer I grow Basil and it thrives here in eastern North Carolina.What can you do with all this basil? Well, I make Pesto and freeze it to enjoy all year.
Pesto will keep a long time in the freezer. It can be frozen in ice cube trays — handy if you only need a small amount of pesto.
Basil is also easily rooted if you want to try to keep a pot inside over the winter. I just put a stem in a glass of water, then plant in soil once it shows roots.
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of grape tomatoes optional
- Wash and dry the basil leaves. Peel the garlic and mash it. Put basil, garlic and oil in blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add nuts and mix.
- Remove from blender and mix in cheese. I like to blend some of the cheese in with the basil mixture
- Serving Suggestions : Serve on noodles with diced grape tomatoes as garnish. It is also very good in salad dressings or on crusty bread.
Write to me and let me know if you have any great uses for Pesto.
Recipe from Innkeeper Chloe at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast in Williamston, NC 252-792-8787
- Bitcoin Cryptocurrency Accepted at Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - September 8, 2021
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021