Americans have a love affair with our marshmallow PEEPS
… and we eat more than our share – we will eat 600 million PEEPS this Easter. (I call them all PEEPS, even if they are bunnies.)
PEEPS marshmallow candy – those bright-colored chicks and bunnies that we see at Easter have a long history. In 1953, it took 27 hours to make one Peep. Now the factory in Bethlehem, PA makes a billion a year. The first PEEPS were squeezed out of a pasty tube and the eyes were painted on by hand. Each PEEP is a character – as they settle the nose and eyes rearrange and they get a personality.
Big Mill B&B Easter guests enjoy PEEPS served on hand-painted Italian Majolica
The Washington Post has an annual PEEPS Diorama contest. One year the winner was Occupy PEEP D.C. I am telling you, PEEPS’ mania is real, it’s fun and I am joining.
National Geographic did PEEPS in Places. There were PEEPS in Las Vegas, on the beach, in a subway, at Big Mill B&B in the Mule Room. Ever wonder what wine to serve with PEEPS?
PEEPS in the Mule Room at Big Mill B&B will be served with Riesling. Someone has already done the wine pairing for PEEPS and the suggestions are Riesling or Chardonnay.
You can create your own Peeps character – pick a color, outfit, give him a name and POOF he will jump on Facebook if you want him too. I am telling you, folks really get in to their Peeps.
Can you believe folks cook with PEEPS? There are many PEEPS recipes out there, much to my surprise. So I tried one.
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 10 oz. pkg. Marshmallows about 40 or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 PEEPS
- 1 Tablespoon marshmallow cream for glue Optional
- Freeze PEEPS overnight.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan or dish and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt 3 Tablespoons butter over low heat. In a small pan melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter (this is your glue) or you can use Marshmallow cream.
- Add marshmallows to the large pan and stir until melted. Add Rice Krispies and stir until coated. Remove from heat. Using a greased spatula, press the marshmallow - Rice Krispie mixture into the greased pan. It is really sticky!
- Press the frozen PEEPS on top, spacing each PEEP about 1 1/2" apart. Allow to cool and cut into 12 squares with PEEPS in the middle. Best served the same day.
I believe the old adage As American as Apple Pie, should be As American as Marshmallow PEEPS. A word to the wise: Don’t mess with PEEPS fans.
…from Innkeeper at Big Mill Bed and Breakfast 252-792-8787