Winter has been cold here in eastern North Carolina and I am ready to sit on the back steps and socialize with the guests here at Big Mill Bed and Breakfast. (This post is submitted by the Big Mill Fur Person — Moses)
While waiting for spring to arrive, I decided to write a cookbook –The Country Cats Cookbook. What follows will be my signature recipe. Hope you like it … I do.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg yolks reserve egg whites in case the mixture is dry
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon MOUSE extract found in specialty stores like Balduchi’s gourmet foods or Zabar’s Epicurean Emporium in New York - well, not exactly!!!!!
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Grease a heavy cookie sheet. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder in a medium size mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Add flavorings: mouse extract.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just barely blended. You will have to use your hands and perhaps a wee bit of the egg yolk. Add more flour if the mixture is too sticky.
- Using greased hands, form dough into three 4-inch by 9-inch (or thereabouts) rolls that are 2 inches thick. Gently place the “rolls” on the cookie sheet, making sure they are several inches apart. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until dough will hold together. Remove from oven and cool slightly. (Do not cool completely because you won’t be able to cut it.) When cooled slightly, gently slide the rolls to a floured cutting board. Gently cut through each roll at an angle into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Turn each piece on its side and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake again for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- If you prefer a harder biscotti turn onto the other side and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more.
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast 252-792-8787
Well, it is April 1st and APRIL FOOL’S DAY!!!!
For us humans, just omit the Mouse extract. And, honestly, Moses really does like these biscotti. She has one each night with her spot of cream just before bedtime.
- Sweet Pickle Relish – Southern Cooks Can’t Cook Without It - August 9, 2022
- Bitcoin Cryptocurrency Accepted at Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - September 8, 2021
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021