Summer in coastal North Carolina means great watermelons.
When I was growing up on the farm my father had three rows of watermelons that were at least a city block long. That was a lot of watermelons. In July and August we would drive the pickup truck into the field and load all the watermelons into the back. We brought them to the house and laid them under the pecan trees that are still here. Every afternoon, we would stop work and come and cut a watermelon, eat what we wanted and then take the remains to the cows and the mules.
My mother said we couldn’t give the chickens watermelons because it hurt their faces. I am still trying to figure what she meant by that. I can only surmise that the chickens would peck and peck and hurt themselves, but I will never really know.
- 1 lemon or orange washed and sliced
- 2 liters lemon lime soda chilled. Reserve half
- 1 large watermelon
- 6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup sugar or to taste
- The ice mold should be made earlier, in time for it to freeze. The punch needs to be made just before serving.
- Slice the lemon or orange and arrange in the ice mold. Pour 1/2 the lemon-lime soda into the mold and freeze.
- Cut watermelon into halves. Scoop out pulp and place in blender, seeds and all.
- Blend for several seconds on medium speed. Strain through a fine-sieve colander, squeezing out juice. Discard solid parts.
- Pour watermelon juice into a large container with lid. Add orange juice concentrate and sugar and stir until sugar and orange juice are dissolved. Chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, pour punch into clear glass or plastic punch bowl. Add the lemon-lime soda and stir. Place ice ring in the punch bowl.
- This is a gorgeous red punch, so be sure to serve it in a clear glass or plastic container. It looks great served in wine glasses.
Recipe from innkeeper at Big Mill Bed & Breakfast 252-792-8787
- Old Red Truck – Mascot of Big Mill B&B Extended Stay - June 6, 2021
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020