This easy Strawberry Bread recipe uses self-rising flour
I just love this photo – I was outside getting ready to take a picture of these berries when a rainstorm made me take cover in my Old Red Truck. While I waited out the storm, I took this photo — the lighting was perfect. It is one of my favorites.
My mother Chloe used self-rising flour, but I never did. Lately I have been experimenting with her recipes and some of my own and now I am a believer, especially if “quick” is in the cards.
Big Mill Bed & Breakfast 252-792-8787
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup corn or vegetable oil
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped & mashed strawberries (about 1/2 pound of berries) drain ALL the juice off
- 1 cup self-rising flour packed (see note for all-purpose flour) *
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two mini loaf pans with cooking spray with flour like Baker's Secret.
- Wash and hull the berries. Chop and mash berries and strain off the excess juice. Measure out ½ cup.
- Whisk egg in large mixing bowl. Add oil, sugar and mashed strawberries. In another mixing bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry mixture to the strawberry mixture and stir.
- Pour into loaf pans, filling about 1/2 full. This is a moist bread and it will not cook through if you fill the pans too full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned or until a straw inserted into the center comes out clean. Moist breads like this Strawberry Bread are difficult to know when they are done. The straw or small knife inserted into the bread is the best way to know. You can’t just go by the time.
- Cool on wire racks for five minutes. Remove bread from pans and continue to cool until ready to slice. To store, wrap in clear wrap. This bread will keep fresh for several days.
- Extended Stay Lodging Eastern NC – Home Away from Home - January 28, 2021
- Effie’s Switch House French Dressing - May 21, 2020
- Best Banana Bread has a Secret Ingredient - April 28, 2020